22 Stars: Diana Velasquez
Previs / Layout Artist on The Tiger's Apprentice
1. What is your job at Paramount Animation?
2. WHO IS THE ARTIST THAT INSPIRES YOU MOST?
3. What is inspiring about your current project?
I think there's just so many layers to our project. We have an amazing team of artists putting together a project that's going to be fun, creative and visually stunning, all while telling a great story.
Enjoy each step along the way and try not to stress so much.
4. What was your first job?
Previs Artist at PLF (Pixel Liberation Front)
5. When did you know you wanted to work in animation?
I wanted to work in movies and vfx after watching The Matrix in high school; but I became fascinated by animation by the time Monsters, Inc. and Shrek came out and that's when I decided to pursue it as a career.
6. What is one thing you like about working for Paramount Animation?
The people I get to work with are incredibly talented and creative. I feel challenged and inspired every single day.
7. Who in your career has helped you to improve and succeed? How did they help you?
My supervisors at PLF - Duane, Kyle and Chris - by giving me the tools and allowing me to grow as an artist. And my husband, who's also an artist and is constantly learning and innovating.
8. Which do you prefer to use? (a pen, pencil, Wacom pen, or paint brush)
9. What is your favorite Paramount movie?
10. What is your favorite animated movie?
11. Who is your favorite animated character?
12. What is your favorite thing to doodle in the corner of your notebook?
13. What is your favorite zoo animal?
14. Are you a dog person or cat person?
Both! We have a dog and two cats.
15. Are you a coffee or tea person?
Coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.
16. How do you express your creativity in your free time?
17. What do you do when you are feeling a creativity block?
Usually take a break, relax, spend time outside or binge watch a show that brings me joy and helps me reset.
18. What’s your favorite book you’ve read?
One Hundred Years of Solitude
19. What is your favorite vacation spot?
20. What is your favorite Ice Cream flavor?
21. Are you a night person or morning person?
22. If you could tell your younger self 1 thing, what would it be?
"Enjoy each step along the way and try not to stress so much; draw every day and watch a lot of classic movies. "